Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Carrying Out My GAME Plan:

Now that I have developed my GAME plan, this week I am focusing on taking action towards achieving the goal of my GAME plan. “The GAME plan requires you to think about and take steps to direct your learning process, specifically while learning about technology and how to integrate it into your classroom” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 3). 

In order to take action towards my first goal I need to research and visit technology-enriched classrooms within my school district. I am beginning to contact technology enriched teachers and schedule observations. This way I can see first what these classrooms look like and how learning is structured within them. I will also be able to develop my checklist of necessary items and resources to achieve a technology enriched classroom like their classroom. I will also be researching how to transfer your classroom into a technology enriched classroom through scholarly articles and research databases. I have found many scholarly articles through my classes here at Walden and have already connected with teachers all across the country in order to share our resources and experiences with one another. 

Pertaining to my second goal to continuously engage myself in professional growth and leadership I will continue to take graduate level classes relating to integrating technology into the classroom. I have two more classes to take before I have earned my Master’s degree and over the next few years I will continue to take classes to further my education. Unfortunately the current school year is coming to an end and I will not have any opportunity to work with our school’s technology coordinator this year since he is busy going through the procedures to close out the year.

I have already talked with him about working closely with him next year and learning how to incorporate all the technological devices my school has to offer. I will also begin to research professional conferences and development opportunities relating to technology that I possibly could attend next year. My hopes are to have a few conferences or developments narrowed down by the start of next year so I can meet with my principle at the start of the year while the school has extra funds.  

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

2 comments:

  1. Sara,


    Visiting technology rich environments while class is in session will allow you to see and experience how the teacher incorporates the various aspects of her classroom within her instruction. How do you plan to finance your classroom transformation? In my district and school site, the booster club offers technology grants twice a year. The state of California also offers several grants specifically for technology improvement. Both could be options for you (though I can’t remember what state you work in!) in your efforts because it could develop a financial burden on you.
    Have you talked with your school’s technology coordinator about collaborating over summer break? Every summer the English department and I collaborate for at least ten hours in order to better align our curriculum, assignments, and efforts to fully support student learning. It works really well for us and as a result, all of the teachers at our school site get along really well and enjoy working together.
    Again, best of luck in your endeavors!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,

    Our Parent Student Teacher Association (PSTA) does offer grants over the summer. Our science department has received these grants the last two years not for technology but to buy our frogs for our frog dissection at the conclusion after our human body unit. I need to spend time this summer researching technology grants offered by private companies. I have not talked with our technology coordinator about collaborating this summer because I am getting married a week after school gets out and I have recently had to deal with family issues that will need my attention this summer. If I had the time to work with him this summer I would. Our school has scheduled each department two professional development days this July to work on curriculum and ordering supplies. I think this will give us a head start on next school year.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete